Setup Time Reduction is the process of reducing changeover time (i.e., from the last good piece of the previous run to the first good piece of the next run). Since setup activities add no marketable form, fit, or function to the product, they are by definition non-value adding. By reducing setup time toward Single Minute Exchange of Dies (SMED), more setups can be completed each day. SMED is a systematic approach to reducing changeover times to less than ten minutes. This allows batch size reduction, which is critical for flow and improves manufacturing flexibility.
Among the many benefits are:
- Shorter lead times
- Less material waste
- Fewer defects
- Less inventory
- Smaller space requirements
- Higher productivity
- Greater flexibility
- Increased capacity
Through the setup reduction process, you will find that some operations that are done during setup can be completed prior to setup. Other functions can be eliminated entirely. And some functions simply need to be streamlined. Decreases in setup time of 50% or better are common. And that impacts your ability to meet deadlines, adjust to uncontrollable demand and increase the throughput in your organization.
This 1 day course is designed to provide participants with the theoretical and practical knowledge needed to begin implementing setup reduction.
At this workshop, you will understand what you can do offline to make set-ups/changeovers go even more efficiently.
Start Improvements Immediately
The Set-up Reduction Workshop provides specific, key steps to implement techniques that can drastically improve the way your business runs. You’ll also leave with a solid understanding of how Set-up Reduction fits in with other facets of creating a lean manufacturing business.
The whole production and operations teams from CEOs, presidents and financial managers to people on the shop floor will benefit from Set-up Reduction. Sending a team to the workshop gets everyone on the same page and allows you to organize a team to work on your set-up reduction efforts.
What You Will Learn
The course teaches the 4 phases of set-up reduction:
- Maintenance, Organization and Housekeeping It often happens that setup problems are related to poor maintenance such as worn parts, worn tooling, dirt, or damaged threads. Disorganization and poor housekeeping are also contributors to setup problems. These are easy to fix and should be a first step.
- Internal Elements to External Internal elements occur when the machine is down. Examine each internal element and see if it cannot be done externally. For example, the pre-heating of an injection molding die could be done before it goes into the machine.
- Improve Elements Here we examine every element to see how we can eliminate it, simplify it, reduce the time required or improve it in some other way.
- Eliminate Adjustments Adjustments are often the most time consuming, frustrating and error prone parts of a setup. There are many ways to eliminate them entirely and this is the ultimate goal.
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Recognize good methods and identify opportunities for improvement.
- Define a Best Method for doing a job.
- Understand various ways to document and analyze your current methods.
- Understand several structured approaches to generating method improvement ideas.
- Understand and apply specific strategies for reducing setup/changeover times.
Who should attend:
- Setup Technicians
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
SatiStar's Experience Makes The Difference!