Mistake-Proofing is a simple yet extraordinarily effective technique for preventing workplace errors using low-cost devices that can be developed by the workers themselves. Mistake-Proofing (MP) is fundamentally a process control technique focused on error elimination through technical means.
MP is accomplished by making permanent changes to equipment, processes, or procedures, product design, or information that eliminate errors, or provide an immediate signal if an error occurs, thereby enabling immediate corrective action.
Scope And Deliverables
Mistake Proofing (MP) recognizes that errors are inevitable due to both human and workplace factors. Studies show that mistakes often significantly impact performance and represent a type of defect that have a high probability of recurrence (unless Mistake Proofing concepts are applied).
Mistake proofing solutions improve quality, throughput and productivity while minimizing or eliminating downstream process and product inspection. Mistake proofing solutions can be developed for shop floor applications as well as for front office and information transaction-intensive processes. Our project approach focuses on the identification, refinement and delivery of numerous MP solutions ready for immediate application.
Mistake Proofing projects are divided into 4 phases:
In Phase 1 of the project, team members knowledgeable in the processes being improved are introduced to the concepts, principles, benefits, and practices of Mistake Proofing. They understand how to identify MP opportunities, and how to apply best practice MP thinking to eliminate process and product defects.
In Phase 2, teams set out to identify MP opportunities and potential solutions by first examining performance data to identify problematic process areas and set priorities. Small teams then visit the shop floor or office. Products, processes equipment and IT systems are thoroughly and closely examined. Questions are asked, notes made and pictures taken to ensure that the MP opportunities are well understood. Each team develops initial MP solution ideas for their opportunities. This phase routinely develops hundreds of MP ideas.
In Phase 3 teams meet for a group review of everyone’s initial MP ideas. They refine their ideas into MP solutions that are “ready for implementation”. As MP solutions are reviewed, refined and finalized, the ideas are documented using a standard MP form.
In Phase 4 teams create an action plan for the implementation of their solutions and for the ongoing generation of additional MP solutions.
Mistake Proofing solutions are usually low cost, easily sustainable fixes that can eliminate defects.
Project-related options that SatiStar can provide include the following:
- Facilitating the creation of a Cost of Quality baseline.
- Providing MP training and implementation support for front office and transactional processes.
- Creation of a MP database.
- Post project on-site reflection and planning one to two months after the initial activity.
- Executive MP overview.
- Process simplification.
- Program coaching and monitoring.
- Process Failure Modes Effect and Analysis (PFMEA).
What We Will Do
- Assist in the selection of process areas and team members.
- Develop the capability of team members to successfully implement the principles and practices of Mistake Proofing on their own business processes.
- Rather than use simulated processes, we focus the team’s efforts on developing relevant, real-life applications.
- Provide guidance to your teams to identify, develop, and document their initial solutions.
- Facilitate the presentation and review of team ideas for group review and discussion, allowing everyone to participate in the process of understanding, developing and refining solutions for immediate use.
- Provide benchmark and best practice information from leading organizations and industries.
- Facilitate the documentation of final solutions.
- Facilitate the creation of a proposed action plan for a successful and sustained MP program based on best practices.
- Provide the templates and documentation management advice needed to set up a MP applications database.
What We Need You To Do
- Set clear performance improvement goals for the MP program.
- Provide access for team members to the relevant process areas.
- Provide the resources needed to implement MP ideas in a timely manner.
- Provide appropriate recognition for teams that achieve desired results through the implementation of MP.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
SatiStar's Experience Makes The Difference!