Lean is basically all about getting the right things, to the right place, at the right time, in the right quantity while minimizing waste and being flexible and open to change. Lean requires that we:
- Specify value in the eyes of the customer
- Identify the value stream and eliminate waste
- Make value flow at the pull of the customer
- Involve and empower employees
- Continuously improve in the pursuit of perfection.
Lean Manufacturing is an approach that can be implemented in a manufacturing environment. Alternately, you can apply Lean Principles to a service industry, or even in administrative functions.
Scope And Deliverables
Lean is a management philosophy that focuses on the reduction of seven types of waste in both manufacturing and service business processes:
- Waiting time
By eliminating waste (muda), quality is improved, production time is reduced and cost is reduced. Lean “tools” include continual process analysis and improvement (kaizen), “pull” production (by means of kanban) and mistake-proofing (poka-yoke).
SatiStar’s consultants are knowledgeable in all of the aspects of the House of Lean shown here. We begin with Value Stream Mapping, which we consider to be the entrance to the house.
The key lean principles:
- Perfect first-time quality – quest for zero defects, revealing & solving problems at the source
- Waste minimization – eliminating all activities that do not add value & safety nets, maximize use of scarce resources (capital, people and land)
- Continuous improvement – reducing costs, improving quality, increasing productivity and information sharing
- Pull processing: products are pulled from the consumer end, not pushed from the production end
- Flexibility – producing different mixes or greater diversity of products quickly, without sacrificing efficiency at lower volumes of production
- Building and maintaining a long term relationship with suppliers through collaborative risk sharing, cost sharing and information sharing arrangements.
What We Will Do
- Assist your leadership team in the selection of value-adding, strategic business processes that are suitable for Lean.
- Help in the selection of appropriate Lean team members.
- Facilitate your team through SatiStar’s Lean Implementation methodology.
- Ensure organizational buy-in on the newly “Leaned” processes, by involving your employees at all levels.
- Guide the Lean team in preparing their recommended solutions to the leadership team.
- Provide guidance as needed in implementing the newly redesigned processes.
- Create relevant key performance indicators to enable you to measure and track the gains.
- Provide, if needed, a management control system to ensure that the project delivers the desired results in a timely manner.
What We Need You To Do
- Commit to the Lean project.
- Assign required resources to the project.
- Ensure availability of required resources.
- Provide a suitable working area for the team’s activities.
- Authorize internal personnel to provide the Lean team with needed information.
- Ensure timely review and approval of the Lean team’s recommendations.
- Provide sufficient resources (including IT) to implement the team’s approved recommendations.
- Ensure timely delivery of desired results.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
SatiStar's Experience Makes The Difference!