A rapid, team-based approach to improvement that is consistent with achieving Lean systems. SatiStar’s consultants can train and facilitate your teams through our Kaizen methodology.
Scope And Deliverables
Kaizen (Japanese for “change for the better” or “improvement”) is an approach to productivity improvement that is equally applicable to all business processes including those in manufacturing, services and administration.
The goals of kaizen include the elimination of waste (defined as “activities that add cost but do not add value”), reducing paperwork, improving office productivity, just-in-time delivery, production load leveling of amount and types, standardized work, paced moving lines, right-sized equipment, etc. A closer definition of the Japanese usage of Kaizen is “to take it apart and put back together in a better way.” What is taken apart is usually a process, system, product, or service.
Kaizen is a daily activity whose purpose goes beyond improvement. It is also a process that, when done correctly, humanizes the workplace, eliminates hard work (both mental and physical), and teaches people how to do rapid experiments using the scientific method and how to learn to see and eliminate waste in business processes.
Kaizen often takes place one small step at a time, hence the English translation: “continuous improvement”, or “continual improvement.” Yet radical changes for the sake of goals, such as Just In Time, and improving plant or office layout, also gain the full support of upper level management. Goals for kaizen events are often intentionally set very high because there are countless examples of drastic reductions in process lead time to serve as proof of their practicality.
The cycle of kaizen activity can be defined as:
- standardize an operation
- measure the standardized operation (find cycle time and amount of in-process inventory)
- gauge measurements against requirements
- innovate to meet requirements and increase productivity
- standardize the new, improved operations
- continue cycle ad infinitum.
This is also known as the Shewhart cycle, Deming cycle, or PDCA.
What We Will Do
SatiStar’s expert consultants will facilitate your teams of employees through implementation of Kaizen using our standard Kaizen methodology.
- We will provide your team with a complete step-by-step guide for doing Kaizen.
- Facilitate an actual Kaizen event.
- Provide guidance in how to evaluate opportunities.
- Ensure that the team is well prepared for the Kaizen event.
- Help to build and lead Kaizen teams.
- Ensure that a system exists to measure business improvements.
- Provide any needed follow up on Kaizen events to ensure sustainability of their benefits.
- Provide coaching to your leadership team on their role in creating a culture that is suitable for sustainability of your Kaizen program.
What We Need You To Do
- Select a business process area in which Kaizen will be implemented.
- Create appropriate goals for the team.
- Ensure that relevant area personnel are informed of the Kaizen plans.
- Ensure availability of relevant area personnel for participation on the Kaizen team.
- Provide a suitable working area.
- Ensure timely review and approval of the Kaizen team’s recommendations.
- Ensure timely implementation of approved recommendations.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
SatiStar's Experience Makes The Difference!