ISO 45001:2018 is recognized as an effective Occupational Health & Safety Management System (OHSMS) for achieving improved and sustainable OH&S performance through control and systematic management of OH&S hazards and associated risks. The standard helps maintain a healthy and safe work environment.
The OHSAS specification is applicable to any organization that wishes to:
- Establish an OH&S management system to eliminate or minimize risk to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks associated with its activities
- Implement, maintain and continually improve an OH&S management system
- Assure itself of its conformance with its stated OH&S policy
- Demonstrate such conformance to others
- Seek certification/registration of its OH&S management system by an external organisation, or . . .
- Make a self-determination and declaration of conformance with this OHSAS specification.
Scope And Deliverables
ISO 45001:2018 is an international occupational health and safety management system specification. It embraces a number of other publications and ISO 45001:2018 was created via the concerted effort from a number of the worlds leading national standards bodies, certification bodies, and specialist consultancies.
A number of older documents were used in the creation process. These included:
- OHSAS 18002:2007 occupational health and safety management system standard
- BS8800:1996 Guide to occupational health and safety management systems
- DNV Standard for Certification of Occupational Health and Safety Management Systems(OHSMS):1997
- Technical Report NPR 5001: 1997 Guide to an occupational health and safety management system
- Draft LRQA SMS 8800 Health & safety management systems assessment criteria
- SGS & ISMOL ISA 2000:1997 Requirements for Safety and Health Management Systems
- BVQI SafetyCert: Occupational Safety and Health Management Standard
- Draft AS/NZ 4801 Occupational health and safety management systems Specification with guidance for use
- Draft BSI PAS 088 Occupational health and safety management systems
- UNE 81900 series of pre-standards on the Prevention of occupational risks
- Draft NSAI SR 320 Recommendation for an Occupational Health and Safety (OH and S) Management System
ISO 45001:2018 is an Occupation Health and Safety Assessment Series for health and safety management systems. It is intended to help an organizations to control occupational health and safety risks. It was developed in response to widespread demand for a recognized standard against which to be certified and assessed.
Integration into Your Current Management System
This standard is easily integrated into your current management system. ISO 45001:2018 is compatible with ISO 9001, ISO 14001 and many other management system standards. Improved OH&S performance brings many benefits to your company, employees, business partners and key stakeholders. Key benefits include:
- Demonstrated commitment to your employees, their families and all interested parties that you care about the health, safety & wellness of each person that may be exposed to the health and safety risks associated with the activities and operations of your operations.
- Reduction or elimination of cost associated with OH&S injuries or illness.
- Solid framework for establishing a sound assessment and control of all of your operation’s OH&S risks.
- Helps meet any requirements of due diligence and reasonable care imposed by law, or corporate policy.
- Integration of multiple OH&S programs under the umbrella of one common management system
- Maintain and improve your organization’s public reputation as a safety leader.
- Helps maintain positive communications with all interested parties, including OH&S legal authorities, shareholders, financial institutions, your insurers, and others.
- Seamlessly integrates with existing quality, environmental and other sector specific management systems.
What We Will Do
Occupational Health and Safety Risk Analysis
The first step in creating an OH&S management system is to identify the high risk elements of your business to employees and other interested parties who may be exposed to OH&S risks. SatiStar’s consultants will conduct FMEA-based Job Safety Analyses throughout your operations. Job Safety Analysis, or JSA, is essentially the assessment of work activities and the workplace to establish whether adequate precautions are in place. In other words, it is the systematic identification of potential hazards in the workplace as a step to controlling the possible risks involved.
SatiStar will create ISO 45001:2018 compliant policies and procedures and assemble these documents into a manual for your approval. Implementation of the OH&S management system, as described by the manual, usually commences while the manual is still being created.
OH&S Implementation Coaching and Support
The overall OH&S management system implementation process takes about one month, but you can choose to implement the system at any pace that is comfortable. More rapid implementations have better success and produce much higher quality results. If you plan to extend the implementation time frame beyond two months our experience is that it will be hard to maintain sufficient momentum and internal enthusiasm to keep the project viable, and avoid considerable rework.
Once the new OH&S system has been fully implemented a qualified SatiStar audit team will conduct the audit, which will take between one and two days to complete. The audit itself will be documented in an audit binder that we will create on your behalf. Any corrective actions that are required will be written up by our auditor and placed within the audit binder. The auditor will then review with your OH&S system representative exactly what each corrective action refers to, and will discuss detailed actions that will rapidly and effectively close out the corrective action request. Coaching will also be provided on how to respond to corrective action requests.
An essential component of any system is that your leadership team must periodically review the status of your OH&S system. SatiStar will facilitate your management review meeting. We will create an agenda for this meeting that complies with the requirements of the standard, and ensure that it becomes an effective tool for action and improvement of your systems to manage occupational health and safety.
Many of our clients prefer to “self-declare” their compliance to ISO 45001, but if you require formal registration we will ensure success during your external audits. SatiStar will provide coaching on how to pass an audit, and will help remove the stress from the event by providing strategies and techniques for working with the auditor effectively. Through all of the registrations that we have assisted clients with, the registrar always makes a clear recommendation for registration at the time of the external audit, typically subject to closure of the few minor findings. What remains is to receive the registration certificate, and of course maintain the system.
We will ensure that your system is maintained and improves over time, by conducting annual or semi-annual audits and participating in your management review meetings.
What We Need You To Do
Although SatiStar does most of the technical work, ultimately it is up to the client to implement and “live” in the new ISO 45001:2018 management system processes.
- Commit to the development of an ISO 45001:2018 based OH&S system.
- Determine if formal registration is required.
- Provide us with access to key individuals, including the company legal counsel.
- Authorize these individuals to provide us with the required information, including confidential employee files as needed.
- Assign an OH&S system representative who will ensure that the management system processes are implemented and maintained.
- Provide a suitable space where we can conduct training, coaching, interviews and planning sessions.
- Provide required software in a timely manner.
- Participate in the OH&S aspects analysis, process flow diagramming, management review meeting and in the internal audit events.
WHAT PEOPLE ARE SAYING
SatiStar's Experience Makes The Difference!